October 29, 2013
Executive Director’s Letter
A few weeks ago, I wrote about the importance of arts education, particularly as schools move to implement the Common Core Curriculum and Baltimore City Public Schools prepares to hire a new CEO. Now in a far-sighted, statewide move, Governor Martin O’Malley’s P20 Leadership Council has created a task force to study and make recommendations on arts education in the schools. To keep informed about the work and provide input to the task force, check out the Arts Education in Maryland Schools (AEMS) Alliance website. AEMS Alliance founder and trustee, Mary Ann Mears, is co-chairing the taskforce. Mary Ann is both a long-time arts education advocate and an inspired sculptor.
Last Saturday, my membership tour brought me to the amazing new UMBC Performing Arts and Humanities building for a Salon that included a panel discussion featuring Baltimore native and Theatre Communications Group Executive Director, Teresa Eyring, Penumbra Theatre Company Associate Artistic Director, Sarah Bellamy, and Broadway Producer, Cheryl Wiesenfeld. The common thread of their fascinating discussion was the great value that art, in this case commercial and nonprofit theatre, brings to every part of our society. The Salon was followed by a breathtaking and Robert Wilson-reminiscent production of Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl, directed by Nyalls Hartman. UMBC designer Elena Zoltescu is nearing retirement, but I for one am grateful she has had the opportunity to realize her stunning work in this new, well-appointed facility before she leaves.
Celebrate the Charm City Fringe Festival at the next GBCA Happy Hour hosted by Single Carrot Theatre. Socialize, network, and learn more about upcoming events next Monday, November 4 from 5 to 7pm.
Hope you’re enjoying this delightful sweater weather!
P.S. Baker Alert! Be sure to post your nomination if you want to be eligible for the Wild Card prize of $250. The winner will be selected on November 1 and remains eligible for both the Mary Sawyers Baker prize and the 2014 b-grants.
- Enjoy Summer by Binge Watching Movies and Reading a Baltimore-Born Beach Book
- “Culture is not the icing on the cake, it’s the sugar and the eggs—you really can’t make a decent city or cake without it.”
- Liz Lerman’s Incredible Impact on the Arts, and Our Thanks to GBCA Membership and Development Manager, Melanie Robey.
- Our Wonderful State-Designated Arts Districts
- It’s the Season to Go Outside and Play!
- Be an Informed Arts and Culture Voter
- Artscape 2014 and a New Online Cultural Calendar
- Congratulations to the 2014 Baker Artist Award Winners!
- Honoring Fred and Jonna Lazarus
- “It gives me great pleasure to announce the 2014 inaugural class of Rubys Artist Project Grant awardees.”