I am starting to take the weather personally. Admittedly, there was something nice about hunkering down yesterday and yes, the sunshine is starting to raise my spirits. Dare we hope this is the last wintery blast before spring really takes hold?
Before Monday’s storm shut us all down, it was a busy week for the cultural community. Among the highlights was Baltimore School for the Arts’ Expressions. The students are bright stars. Their talent, heart, and passion never fail to amaze and move me. What a gem we have right here in Baltimore sending talent of all kinds out into the world. Another highlight was The American Craft Council Show, which featured the work of several GBCA members, including Baltimore Clayworks and their resident artist and 2012 b-grant winner Yoshi Fujii.
Last week, we shared a link to the discussion about women in theatre that was blowing up the blogosphere, in part driven by posts of Baltimore’s own Elissa Goetschius, Artistic Director of the Strand Theater Company. This past Sunday, The Washington Post ran an extensive article about women and museum leadership, including a look at both Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. The piece featured The Walters Art Museum’s Julia Marciari Alexander, Baltimore Museum of Art’s Doreen Bolger, and American Visionary Art Museum’s Rebecca Hoffberger. Brava!
Due to the weather, GBCA’s Happy Hour with the Bromo Arts District has been rescheduled for Monday, March 17 at EMP Collective. We hope you will come on out for a taste of the neighborhood.
Please tell me it’s time to put away my snow boots!
- Enjoy Summer by Binge Watching Movies and Reading a Baltimore-Born Beach Book
- “Culture is not the icing on the cake, it’s the sugar and the eggs—you really can’t make a decent city or cake without it.”
- Liz Lerman’s Incredible Impact on the Arts, and Our Thanks to GBCA Membership and Development Manager, Melanie Robey.
- Our Wonderful State-Designated Arts Districts
- It’s the Season to Go Outside and Play!
- Be an Informed Arts and Culture Voter
- Artscape 2014 and a New Online Cultural Calendar
- Congratulations to the 2014 Baker Artist Award Winners!
- Honoring Fred and Jonna Lazarus
- “It gives me great pleasure to announce the 2014 inaugural class of Rubys Artist Project Grant awardees.”