GBCA is very excited about 2014 Baker Artist Awards! Congratulations to Mary Sawyers Baker Prize winners Todd Marcus, Brent Crothers, and Chris Bathgate. In addition, this year three b-grants of $5,000 each were awarded to Jowita Wyszomirska, Ed Gross, and David Paul Bacharach. All six will be featured in an exhibition at the Baltimore Museum of Art in the fall of 2015 to accommodate the museum’s construction schedule. But you don’t have to wait until then to get to know the artists’ work. I hope you will join us next Monday, May 12 to celebrate with our partners at WTMD radio in Towson. General manager Steve Yasko will be hosting the party at WTMD’s fabulous new studio. A small exhibition in the lobby will offer guests a taste of the Baker winners’ work. You will also be treated to performances by jazz master, Todd Marcus and his quartet. Also, the first 50 people to arrive will receive a FREE copy the Baker Artist Awards Five Year Anniversary Catalog, courtesy of The Ivy Bookshop!
The Maryland Film Festival (MFF) kicks off tomorrow evening. Check out their amazing offerings from May 7 through May 11 at sites throughout the city. The Festival is an annual five-day event that presents top-notch film and video work from all over the world. Each year the festival screens approximately 50 feature films and 75 short films of all varieties – narrative, documentary, animation, experimental, and hybrid – to tens of thousands of audience members. MFF Director Jed Dietz and his team always produce an amazing event and are also working toward the development of their future home at the Parkway Theater on North Avenue.
The recent deluge has left many of our friends with offices on the Jones Falls with flood damage. Please join GBCA in sending your good wishes and support to Maryland Citizens for the Arts and Handel Choir, along with other businesses affected by the flooding of Meadow Mill.
Here’s to sunny skies,
- Enjoy Summer by Binge Watching Movies and Reading a Baltimore-Born Beach Book
- “Culture is not the icing on the cake, it’s the sugar and the eggs—you really can’t make a decent city or cake without it.”
- Liz Lerman’s Incredible Impact on the Arts, and Our Thanks to GBCA Membership and Development Manager, Melanie Robey.
- Our Wonderful State-Designated Arts Districts
- It’s the Season to Go Outside and Play!
- Be an Informed Arts and Culture Voter
- Artscape 2014 and a New Online Cultural Calendar
- Congratulations to the 2014 Baker Artist Award Winners!
- Honoring Fred and Jonna Lazarus
- “It gives me great pleasure to announce the 2014 inaugural class of Rubys Artist Project Grant awardees.”